Documents essential for Car Import in South Africa
Please note that you must have first obtain these two documents BEFORE you can import a vehicle in South Africa: (1) Import Permit (from the Department of Trade and Industry) and (2) Letter of Authority (from the South African Bureau of Standards).
Only one car or motorcycle is allowed per family and the said vehicle must have been registered in that person's name for at least a year before car's import.
South Africa cars for sale, South Africa 4x4 Pickup for sale, South Africa SUV for sale at Thailand, Australia, UK and Dubai top new used car dealer and exporter
Information about South Africa
The area of South Africa is 1,219,912 sq km (471,011 sq mi). Comparatively, the area occupied by South Africa is slightly less than twice the size of the state of Texas. Considered as a whole, South Africa extends 1,821 km (1,132 mi) NE–SW and 1,066 km (662 mi) SE–NW. It is bounded on the N by Botswana and Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia), on the NE by Mozambique and Swaziland, on the E by the Indian Ocean, on the S by the confluence of the Indian and Atlantic oceans, on the W by the Atlantic Ocean, and on the NW by Namibia. South Africa also controls two small islands, Prince Edward and Marion, which lie some 1,920 km (1,200 mi) southeast of Cape Town. South Africa's capital city, Pretoria, is located in the northeastern part of the country.
South Africaans love their cars
South Africaans love their cars, 4x4 pickup trucks, 4x4 SUVs. They want them to be of highest quality but are always on the look out for South Africa Cars For Sale and South Africa 4x4 Pick-up trucks for sale and South Africa SUV for sale. Most buyers will buy in the local market as they can touch and feel the vehicle and have it right away if they like a particular car or pickup. Many dealers in South Africa offer cars, luxury cars, pickup truck or SUVs on sale so there is always a car to be found in a person’s budget.
Documents Required to import a vehicle in South Africa
- Immigrants need their permanent residence permit issued by the Department of Home Affairs (or a copy)
- Returning South Africans must show proof of emigration from SA, proof they had permanent residence abroad and evidence that the permanent residence has been withdrawn.
- A duly completed form DA304A
- Bill Of Lading
- Purchase Documents (Invoice(s))
- Registration Certificate/permit (Deregistration Certificate)
- Documentary evidence of the date on which delivery of the vehicle was taken
- Documentary evidence of the date on which the vehicle was handed to the shipper for shipment to South Africa
- An Import Permit and
- An original Letter of Authority
Process to get approval to import a car in South Africa
Applications for Import Permits should be addressed to:
- The Director of Import and Export Control
- Trade and Industry
- Private Bag X192
- South Africa
- Tel: +27 12 428 7793 or 428 7796
- Fax: +27 12 428 7799